Thursday, April 21, 2011

The most common (of all ) mix-ups at the Golden Arches

Great.,but make mine UNsweetened, did you get that? UN- Un-Un-sweetend.

Maybe it just happens to me. The frequency with which it happens, however, makes me think that it happens to just about everybody who is brave enough to order unsweetened tea at your friendly McDonalds. I would say that at least 40-50 percent of the time that I order unsweetened tea, I happen to get the sweetened kind. This wouldn't be so bad if the "sweetened" kind was simply sweet, but it's as sugary as cotton candy. I would think that McDonalds would scrimp on their sweetener in order to save money.  The fact that they don't is what makes their "te dulce" so unpalatable.

I've tried several ways to help them prevent the mix up but it doesn't seem to be helping much. I've said it slowly and have emphasized the UN-sweetened. I've even asked for Splenda or some other sweetener just to see if they put 2 and 2 together and get my order straight for a change. I usually have to resort to Spanish: "Me da un te SIN azucar por favor (Give me a tea WITHOUT sugar please)". None of these have proven to be fail safe. As a result, I have made it a routine to put my car in park and take my time to taste the tea before driving off. In the process of doing this, I've had to return many an ice-tea but at least it beats having to make a u-turn after driving off, taking a sip and discovering that you just got served some maple syrup or something.

2 comments:

  1. Try ordering a Diet Dr. Pepper. It's the same trauma. I guess they don't believe there are diabetics out there who DO stick to their no sugar diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they're sugar pushers or something. They're paid by Imperial sugar under the table.

    ReplyDelete