Thursday, February 17, 2011

Buzzwords: Bundle now being applied to fast food: Burger King announces it's Breakfast Bundle



I was driving East on Saunders earlier today. I made a right turn at North Arkansas and noticed a fairly new billboard ad for Burger King. It's for a breakfast combo that includes coffee, hash browns and a sausage biscuit, except now it's called a bundle. I guess they like the alliteration but something tells me the rest of the fast food industry will soon follow suit. You can expect to be corrected at the drive-thru window: "I'll have the McMuffin combo please"..... "You mean bundle?"....."yea, yea sorry,  you're right I want the bundle". It looks like the attack on the English language continues.

I had already gotten used to bundle being used in electronics. It replaced what used to be called a package. Now, what they do is lump some slow-selling items together with the popular ones, give you a minimal discount and voila, you got yourself a bundle, whether you like it or not.

I guess we've always had our own food-related bundles down here in South Texas. The famous parrillada is a bundle of sorts. Mexican food also come in bundles that usually include rice and beans. But at least, we distinguish between our preferences enough to give them their own names: Enchiladas Suizas, Huevos Rancheros, Comida Corrida. Let's hope we dont' have to start ordering a Fajita bundle anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment